Of all the rooms in a house, the kitchen and bathroom are probably the most dangerous thanks to the various liquids and other substances in them that are harmful to human beings if used in the wrong way. The kitchen in particular is open to all sorts of mishaps and disasters, especially because of the equipment that can quickly malfunction. Here are some common kitchen disasters and how to deal with them in a safe and prompt way.
Kitchen Sink Overflow/ Pipe Leak
It may look funny in a movie but an overflowing sink is no joke, especially if you live in an apartment and the water can seep into a neighbour’s house or downstairs. The most common reason for an overflowing sink is a clogged pipe, which can also cause the pipe to leak from its joints. Clogs can be caused by anything from hair to bits of food, so you can either call an emergency plumber to take care of it, or go the DIY way and use some drain cleaner instead.
If you are not calling the emergency plumber or any handyman services, find a way to bail out some of the water from the sink first before you pour a capful of drain cleaner down the sink trap.
You Blow the Oven/ Microwave
This happens to the best of us so there is no shame in it; you have miscalculated the time and/or temperature necessary to cook some dish and it’s been inside the oven or microwave too long. Result? a mini-explosion that looks worse than it is, and sounds worse too. Firstly, do not touch it with your bare hands. If the explosion damaged any wiring, the entire appliance could be electrified. Move the implements around with a wooden stick or pole and make sure the oven or microwave is unplugged. Assess the damage and call in a professional if necessary to repair whatever is damaged. In the meantime, clean up the mess.
Food on Fire!
The more ambitious cooks may try to sizzle by putting in too much alcohol to cook and end up with more flames in their pan than they can handle. Experienced chefs know just how much wine to use and how long the flames need to last for. They also have a cover for the pan close by in order to close the pan and cut off oxygen to the flames so it doesn’t burn the food. If you want to try this, make sure you’re wearing non-inflammable clothing and you too have a cover at hand. If the flames get out of control, drop the whole thing in the sink and turn on the water. Do not place it back on the stove as the flames will ignite the gas all the way back to the source.